New MacBook 2015 for university?

I

iMore Question

Hello!

Probably I'm the millionth guy, asking about the new MacBook 2015, so.. sorry about that.

I have an old, late 2011 MacBook Pro (with a Quadcore i7 (I think it's Intels Sandybridge), upgraded 16GB RAM and an upgraded Samsung SSD 830 256GB).
Because this Laptop is big, heavy and the batterylife isn't that good anymore, I was desperately waiting for a new MacBook Air with a Retina Display (and all day battery).

And there it is... the 2015 MacBook with Retina Display. Well I'm not concerned about the thinness or the lack of ports (I'm fine with an adapter, cause I don't use USB that often). But what I overthink is the processor and the Intel HD Graphics 5300 card.
Is a 1.3GHz core M processor and Intels graphic card enough for university purpose?

I study (theoretical) physics, what I do with my Laptop studywise is:
-) Doing research on the internet
-) working with LaTex (or overleaf.com)
-) Doing Office (Numbers, Pages and Keynote)
-) Using Mathematica, Geogebra and probably Matlab
-) Programming in Fortran 90

And then there is the casual usage:
-) HD YouTube Videos
-) Listening to music
-) Spotify
-) Mails
-) And so on...

Well I'm pretty sure, that the casual usage will work pretty fine on the new MacBook, but I'm pretty concerned about the usage studywise.

Are you able to tell me (I know it's not released), if the processor and Intels HD Graphics card is enough for me, or would you rather recommend me the Air (which, sadly, has no Retina Display) or Macbook Pro (which is pretty thick and heavy).
Or would you rather recommend me to wait another year for a MacBook (with better performance) or a refreshed MacBook Pro?

Thank you so much for answering! Have a nice day!

co4nd

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I think your old machine has way more processing power (CPU). I'd get the battery replaced, and wait as long as you can before getting another pro.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
My guess is, the MacBook will be just fine for all of those things. I have used much less powerful machines for all of the things you list without problem. And if you're in school and carrying around a ton of books, every last pound counts.

But given the cost, I would also recommend waiting as long as possible - there will no doubt be new reviews that make the decision clearer once it's officially available.

One thing to consider, by the way - the new MacBook is going to be a beast to repair. You have to think about what your backup computer will be if this has to spend a week or two in the shop at some point. So you may need to get that battery for your 2011 MBP no matter what.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner