Why do you think this product exists?

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
From the article.

"The good news is that the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro aren't going anywhere any time soon."

Well that answered my question from the previous post I made. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple's notebooks are never going to make perfectly logical sense when looking at specs alone...and this is no exception. You can almost ALWAYS find a competitive machine for less money that does the same thing when you look at their entire spectrum of computer offerings...but like the iPhone, there's so much more than just the hardware specs.

Also, it's important to remember where the Macbook Air started in price...this thing, as it evolves over the years, WILL go down in price. This machine priced at the $999 pricing point will make it a hot commodity, especially if they drop that price down at the holidays.

Just because YOU don't see the point of the machine doesn't discredit it's existence. It's size, it's cosmetic appeal, OS X and Apple's service alone will make this a popular computer for people who aren't concerned with horsepower...which is MOST of the consumer base really.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Apple's notebooks are never going to make perfectly logical sense when looking at specs alone...and this is no exception. You can almost ALWAYS find a competitive machine for less money that does the same thing when you look at their entire spectrum of computer offerings...but like the iPhone, there's so much more than just the hardware specs.

Also, it's important to remember where the Macbook Air started in price...this thing, as it evolves over the years, WILL go down in price. This machine priced at the $999 pricing point will make it a hot commodity, especially if they drop that price down at the holidays.

Just because YOU don't see the point of the machine doesn't discredit it's existence. It's size, it's cosmetic appeal, OS X and Apple's service alone will make this a popular computer for people who aren't concerned with horsepower...which is MOST of the consumer base really.

I suppose that's right. It's provably harmless because it's not like they are stopping production of the Air or Pro. I do hope though they will continue improvements on those devices outside of just spec bumps. For example, I hear from a lot if people that the keyboard on the retina pro isn't that great. It would be nice if Apple fixed that.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
To answer the headline question... Because Apple sees an untapped market that wants something between the Air and the Pro.

I think you mean the untapped market between the over prices mobile devices and the Macbook Air (reasonable price)

There is no way this netbook is between an air and a pro

It's got the specs of a mobile device with a price tag or a Macbook pro if you upgrade the netbook to anything remotely respectable.

Personally I feel there is no market for this netbook. Would have loved a refresh of the air, maybe make it lighter and add a retina screen. Would have had a much better response. PLUS would have more ports.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "Jesus moment"? That can be interpreted as an offensive religious statement.

The correct quote is "(a) come to Jesus meeting". It describes a confrontation of sorts - a meeting where someone close to you (e.g. friend, family, etc.) are confronted over behavior that's causing consternation that's negatively effecting your relationship.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The name alone should be a clue to Apple's intent. The MacBook line was discontinued back in 2010. The MacBook line consisted of the (basic) MacBook and the (more powerful) MacBook Pro. Later they added the more portable MacBook Air.

The resurrection of the MacBook name would, at least to me, indicate a lower performance, entry level computer. Apple took the basic design of the MacBook Air and created a retina screened, fanless version. Battery life is fantastic, and the compromise, if any, is in the Intel M class processor. While I would not want to render video on this machine, it will perform the basic email, word processing, internet surfing tasks with power to spare.

I see it as Apple going after the entry level market again with the new retina MacBook laptop. This is the perfect computer for my wife and most of my kids.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The name alone should be a clue to Apple's intent. The MacBook line was discontinued back in 2010. The MacBook line consisted of the (basic) MacBook and the (more powerful) MacBook Pro. Later they added the more portable MacBook Air.

The resurrection of the MacBook name would, at least to me, indicate a lower performance, entry level computer. Apple took the basic design of the MacBook Air and created a retina screened, fanless version. Battery life is fantastic, and the compromise, if any, is in the Intel M class processor. While I would not want to render video on this machine, it will perform the basic email, word processing, internet surfing tasks with power to spare.

I see it as Apple going after the entry level market again with the new retina MacBook laptop. This is the perfect computer for my wife and most of my kids.

How dare you use common sense in this manner! Shame on you for not feeling slighted because it doesn't have the specs to suit tech heads and professionals that need various ports and more processing power. Just hang your head down and consider yourself banned...(laughing)

50ShadesofDroidx

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Look.. we all know the #1 reason why people are gonna buy the Macbook. It's for the retina display followed very closely by the color options. Can't disagree that both the Space Gray and Gold looks extremely nice! But in terms of performance, its absolutely horrendous for that price. God its so sad that I waited so long for this to be out.... why couldn't they just give us what the majority wanted. A new Macbook Air 12" with Retina. Sigh

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Look.. we all know the #1 reason why people are gonna buy the Macbook. It's for the retina display followed very closely by the color options. Can't disagree that both the Space Gray and Gold looks extremely nice! But in terms of performance, its absolutely horrendous for that price. God its so sad that I waited so long for this to be out.... why couldn't they just give us what the majority wanted. A new Macbook Air 12" with Retina. Sigh

Waited so long for what to be out? There wasn't very much news on this device at all before the keynote...and I'm not quite sure why people seem to think that this release negates any future Macbook Air upgrades or development. For all we know, we'll be seeing new Pro's and Air's this fall. Apple could still be releasing what "the majority wanted", but released this model so people could see where the design/development cues were going...and in that regard, I'm excited.

50ShadesofDroidx

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Waited so long for what to be out? There wasn't very much news on this device at all before the keynote...and I'm not quite sure why people seem to think that this release negates any future Macbook Air upgrades or development. For all we know, we'll be seeing new Pro's and Air's this fall. Apple could still be releasing what "the majority wanted", but released this model so people could see where the design/development cues were going...and in that regard, I'm excited.

Rumors of a 12" Macbook air WITH Retina has been circling for about 2 years now.......

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Rumors of a 12" Macbook air WITH Retina has been circling for about 2 years now.......

I'm quite aware of that.

This model has no relevance to the Macbook Air as we see it right now...so why is it Apple's fault that you make assumptions and get upset over them with no factual basis at all to support your illogical assumptions?

Apple still has a Macbook Air model and a Macbook Pro model...both of which, I think it's easy to say, will be receiving some kind of major reconfiguration in the next season of hardware releases or previews. Your assumption here would be like assuming an iPhone redesign is no longer in the works because Apple releases a completely reconfigured iPod Touch, lol!

Relax. Step away from your frustrating keyboard strokes...and realize that you're getting let down by something you've created solely in your own mind that has almost zero relevance to reality.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This product is for someone who wants an Air-sized MacBook with a much nicer display, has a little extra money to spend, and doesn't need the extra power of the Air. Hell, if I had plenty of money, I'd buy one of these and just get an iMac for home.

I have to agree with you. . . . I'm seriously thinking of taking a much closer look at one next weekend.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with you. . . . I'm seriously thinking of taking a much closer look at one next weekend.

Just a suggestion, but I would wait until this fall. I bet you're going to see a Macbook Pro with similar styling cues, more horsepower and an overall better value for what they'll ask for it (just a pie in the sky estimate, but I bet it starts at $1,500).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2